Tahoe South Key Messages & Talking Points
Dec. 2017/Jan. 2018 Winter Conditions/Economy
- South Shore ski resorts are open with top to bottom coverage.
- The early season storms combined with snowmaking allowed Heavenly Mountain Resort to open more terrain prior to the holidays. It continues to expand the number of trails.
- Sightseeing via the Heavenly Gondola on Dec. 26 and Dec. 27 were at capacity around 1 p.m.
- Sierra-at-Tahoe’s north facing slopes allow for shade to preserve existing snow. The resort will supplement with snowmaking as conditions allow.
- Kirkwood’s elevation and conducive geographic location have helped maintain snow coverage with 90 percent open.
- With four months of the ski season left it only takes one good storm to positively affect conditions.
- Tahoe South enjoyed a Christmas and holiday season with area lodging properties as strong or better than last year. The New Year’s Eve holiday weekend is approximately 85% to sold out, with some of the best numbers expected.
- Skiing and snowboarding – available at all South Shore ski resorts. Keep in mind the average skier/rider prefers sunny, groomed conditions while accessing intermediate terrain. With January as national Learn to Ski Month this is the ideal time to learn.
- Apres scene – Heavenly Mountain Resort’s Unbuckle is ranked by Travel + Leisure among the best in the country with DJs, food/drink specials; followed by riding the gondola down as the sun sets over South Lake Tahoe.
- Sierra Mountain Sports tubing hill and snowmobile rides in the meadow across from MontBleu Resort pre-Christmas activity substantial; with families enjoying the outdoors.
- Scenic hikes around Emerald Bay, Fallen Leaf Lake, stroll along Tahoe’s beaches – Lakeview Commons, Camp Richardson, etc.
- Shopping – unique Tahoe only gifts are found within in the Chateau, Heavenly Village, Village Center and The Crossing at Tahoe Valley
- Magic Fusion at the Loft Theatre (shows have been selling out and adding more); blockbuster hits at the Heavenly Village Cinema movie theaters
- South Tahoe Beer Trail – craft breweries throughout South Lake Tahoe
- Ice skating in the Heavenly Village and the South Lake Tahoe Ice Rink
- Boat cruise on the M.S. Dixie II from Zephyr Cove Marina
- Improv at Harveys Cabaret Theater
- SnowGlobe Music Festival, Dec. 29-31, three-day dance party outside at Lake Tahoe Community College features nationally renowned headliners Porter Robinson, Dillon Francis, Zedd, Travis Scott, E-40 and many more. SnowGlobe will also feature dynamic fireworks displays and “big air” snowboarding and skiing demos between main stage sets.
- Heavenly Holidays concludes with a family-friendly New Year’s Eve celebration and outdoor concert at the Heavenly Village. The countdown to the brightly-lit gondola ball-drop and firework display occurs at 9 p.m.
- New Year’s Eve weekend will debut Hard Rock’s sultry new resident show, Electrify: Rock N Roll Burlesque at Vinyl Showroom, Dec. 28-30 at 9 p.m. The burlesque evenings will return every Friday and Saturday from Jan. 19 – April 7.
- High-spirited New Year’s Eve revelry is amplified at PEEK Nightclub at Harrah’s Lake Tahoe; live music and theme parties throughout Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe; and MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa’s three venues: Opal Ultra Lounge, BLU nightclub and convention center.
- New Year’s Eve at the Lodge at Edgewood Tahoe